SCOV Book Club
Meetings: First Monday, 1:30-3:00 Catalina Vista/Pusch Ridge room
Dues: $5.00 annually
This informal book club meets 12 months per year, with members taking turns leading the discussion and bringing refreshments. Sessions consist of a brief business meeting and any reading recommendations by attendees, followed by the book discussion and refreshments.
The role of the Book discussion leader is to prepare some interesting background information about the author or the book and to ask a few questions to facilitate an interactive group discussion.
Book Selection Criteria:
- Our club enjoys discussing rich, multilayered novels that explore complex, introspective characters wrestling with universal dilemmas in fresh new ways
- We like books that are more character-driven than plot-driven.
- We need most of our book selections to be available in paperback, not hardcover only.
- When possible, we like to choose one book set in the Southwest and one local author each year.
- We prefer that any nonfiction (including biography and memoir) be written in a more narrative style than straight expository (mainly informational).
- The categories/genres this book club generally reads are:
- Contemporary Fiction (takes place in the present)
- Historical Fiction (takes place more than 20 years ago)
- Biography/Autobiography/Memoir (the life or memories of a real person)
- Other Non-Fiction (other than biography, autobiography or memoir)
2016-2017 Book Club List